These are recompiled versions of the 0.8 release code, built for specific processors. The different releases are based on the following processor types:
- G7-SSE: Athlon XP, late Duron, Pentium 4, Celeron Pentium 4, Pentium M Centrino, Athlon 64, Athlon FX
- G7: Athlon and early Duron.
- G6-SSE: Pentium III and Celeron Pentium III.
- G6: Pentium Pro, Pentium II, and early Celeron.
- G5: Pentium, K6, K6-2, K6-III, 5×86, 6×86, etc.
You can of course use a lower end build for a later processor, of course, such as the G5 when you have a brand new Athlon 64. Using later builds on earlier processors won’t actually hurt anything, but you’ll have worse performance, if not outright instability in the program.