Map of computers infected by WannaCry ransomware via MalwareTech.com
In light of the WannaCry ransomware attacks, NPR provided these 6 key steps to protecting your Windows computer:
- Back up your computer and store the safety version in the cloud or on a drive that is not connected to your computer.
- Use robust antivirus software.
- Keep all the software on your computer up-to-date. Enable automatic updates.
- Never open attachments in emails from someone you don’t know. And remember that any account can be compromised.
- Enable the “Show file extensions” option in the Windows settings on your computer. This will make it much easier to spot potentially malicious files. Stay away from file extensions like “.exe,” “.vbs” and “.scr.”
- If you find a problem, disconnect your machine immediately from the Internet or other network connections (such as home Wi-Fi).